Friday, March 14, 2008

Kittens And Little Girls And Faith


What do you do when your five year old daughter wants a kitten...and you're allergic to cats...and the last cat you had ruined your porch furniture...and the last cat did nothing about the rat colony living under your house...and your 20 month old son will continually scatter cat food throughout the house just as he did with your last cat...and you don't even like cats? You look for a kitten. I have been spending a lot of time thinking about the grandiose promises in scripture that speak of God's devotion to us as daddy and His willingness to give us what we ask for in prayer and it has intimidated me a bit when I try to reconcile the promises with the many times I have prayed and been disappointed. My daughter doesn't yet know I am actively (and secretly)looking for her kitten. She is still concerned about my willingness to let her have one. Many times I am just like that with Jesus...not aware of how devoted He is to my life and joy. He secretly stirs up my best and listens patiently to my most outlandish requests. I think my best moments in life have all been when I have been close...really close to someone I love. Just last night Rachel and I were sitting on the sofa together as I read her a goofy little children's story. It was the best of times...and so it is as I walk with God in the early morning...not always praying well and rarely having enough faith to move mountains. my mind often distracted by foolish and insignificant things...and yet there we are together, a breath walking with a whisper.

No comments: