Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Jumpstart


What makes for a good day? The day we were supposed to leave for home from our vacation, my rear view mirror fell off my windshield. I went to check on the oil and I pulled the handle of the dipstick and it came off, leaving the dipstick beyond reach inside the tube leading to the engine block. After ten hours cleaning the house where we stayed and packing, finally at 5:30 PM, with everything in the car and everyone buckled into their seats, I went to start the car and it was dead. What is it about threes? So I got a jumper cable from one neighbor and the second neighbor offered to jumpstart our van from his truck. Nothing. Then I realized the cables were on the wrong terminals. We switched the terminals, tried again and it started but as soon as I took my foot off the gas, the car died. We tried several times before giving up. So what did I do? I prayed. The neighbor offered to call AAA and an hour later, a towtruck arrived. Benjamin, our two year old was thrilled to see a truck...I was praying the towtruck driver could get the van going. Immediately the van started but again, when I took my foot off the gas, it died. Finally after several tries, my neighbor suggested I just drive back with my foot on the gas the entire way. The only other option was to stay through the weekend, miss our church service and come home on Tuesday. I prayed. The road down from the cabin is treacherous...if you think you can drive the entire way downhill with your foot on the gas. Jump starting the van once again, my neighbor led me on a fifteen minute journey through the neighborhood. The first stop sign I came to was a moment of truth. I took my foot off the gas and stopped. The van did not stall out...and it didn't stall out the rest of the three hour trip home. What makes a good day...perhaps the simplicity of praying your way down the road!

No comments: