Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It Matters...It Matters Not


My friend is on the verge of completely rearranging his life through a career move and I could not be happier for him. How do we end up here or there, befriend him or her, have this child but not that one, marry her but not her or her or her? And then when it all is, we call it a life. We circle the wagons and try to defend this choice or that, squeeze this wish out of God vs that one and make a go out of finding happiness. Last night my son almost crossed home plate...but didn't. Should he have prayed more and forced his way past the catcher through God force or better yet, bowled him over? One cancer cell in the liver and we are battling into death, one lovely chance meeting and we are barreling into marriage. I have never been more in love with Jesus than I am now and yet more reluctant to try to plan my way into success or happiness or comfort or peace. I just finished Surprised by Joy and if there was one theme that bopped me more than any other in C.S. Lewis' book, it was this. all that is good is that we are in Jesus...Cross home plate or not, find a new house or not, get a more comfortable job or not pale in comparison to living within Christ. The stuff of it all...the encouraging conversation, the rolling waves, the cozy book, have a place to this life but never are the home of it. In Christ, we are home...

No comments: