Friday, May 23, 2008

What is Lindsey doing now?


The other day I got trapped in the internet by a Lindsay Lohan crash and burn account and after I finished reading the gory details I felt like I had taken a bath in a slime pool. Then yesterday I came across this side note by C S Lewis in his book Surprised By Joy.

"Even in peacetime I think those are very wrong who say that schoolboys should be encouraged to read the newspapers. Nearly all that a boy reads there in his teens will be known before he is twenty to have been false in emphasis and interpretation, if not in fact as well, and most of it will have lost all importance. Most of what he remembers he will therefore have to unlearn; and he will probably have acquired an incurable taste for vulgarity and sensationalism and the fatal habit of fluttering from paragraph to paragraph to learn how an actress has been divorced in California, a train derailed in France and quadruplets born in New Zealand."

How much reality are we missing because we dive too deeply into the absurdity of pop culture? If Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie turned out to be just an invention of People Magazine and they didn't actually exist, would we be worse off? Our friends and family make integrity real and love real and joy real. But Jesus is the capstone of the entire Temple and He is where all of reality lives and has meaning. I wonder what Paris Hilton thinks about this?


Psalm 25:21
May integrity and uprightness protect me,
because my hope is in you.

No comments: