Wednesday, September 24, 2008

The Great Disconnect


Why is there such a disconnect between our recognition that we are to explain the Gospel to people regularly and our not doing it? I do not think I know more than two people who last week explained the Gospel to someone. This part of Christian devotion has become so disregarded that it feels like a giant miracle if anyone gives a verbal witness ever. My kids were shocked the other day when I was talking to a couple I met at the track and told them about their need to put their faith in Christ for their salvation. It seemed to them a wonder that I could work the Gospel into my conversation with someone I did not even know. I had to ponder the possibility that perhaps they had not seen me do this enough...It should have been commonplace for them in being around me to have watched such conversations but it wasn't. So what do we do about this? I think we must begin to pray fervently that God would drive us into Gospel sharing...not for our own good but because it is the people we see and know and meet that are going to hell. Real people with real families, real aspirations and real emptiness...at least when it comes to eternity. The other day a friend from church was shocked by the death of her co-worker at the age of 47. It is not tomorrow that awaits the Gospel, it is today...and not from someone else but it must come out of me.

No comments: