Wednesday, September 10, 2008

What Do You Think?

Beautiful Baby In The Womb...It could have been You!


If you think the campaign has reached bizaro levels, read the story below from Jonathon Martin's blog...

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate "whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.”

Palin is an opponent of abortion rights and gave birth to her fifth child, Trig, earlier this year after finding out during her pregnancy that the baby had Down syndrome.

Fowler told my colleague Alex Burns in an interview that the selection of an opponent of abortion rights would not boost McCain among many women.

“Among Democratic women and even among independent women, I don’t think it helped him,” she said.

Told of McCain's boost in the new ABC/Washington Post among white women following the Palin pick, Fowler said: "Just anecdotally, I believe that those white women are Republican women anyway."

UPDATE -- Carol Fowler releases a statement of apology: "I personally admire and respect the difficult choices that women make everyday, and I apologize to anyone who finds my comment offensive. I clumsily was making a point about people in South Carolina who may vote based on a single issue. Whether it’s the environment, the economy, the war or a woman’s right to choose, there are people who will cast their vote based on a single issue. That was the only point I was attempting to make."


I did not make this up! If you do not believe me, click here!
I have a great friend who vehemently argues that abortions should be legal and easy to obtain. She contends forcefully that if abortions are outlawed, then we will have an epidemic of dying women brutally attempting self-administered abortions.

Of course the emotional persuasiveness of this contention is most difficult to battle. No one wants what she describes happening ever.

But here is the basic point Christians argue regarding abortion. The baby in the womb is never a part of the woman's body. It is a separate, living entity 46 chromosomed into life. It may not survive outside the womb at six weeks but neither do many victim of car accidents or shootings survive without the help of medical staff yet we don't argue for just discarding those lives simply because they are inconvenient. They are at the mercy of the medical staff but no one contends that somehow the hospital personel "own" the victim because it is within their power to keep alive.

Two, the life in the womb or outside the womb is God's and no one else's. Jeremiah the prophet wished he had been cut off from the living while in the womb because of how hard his life was but at no point did he ever fail to acknowledge his life was not his own. In his mother's womb he was known by God and David the King tells us that God lovingly puts together our parts in the womb. As we know and still acknowledge, all life comes from God and He begins it despite the cloning efforts of scientists. We fight for life not because we want mothers dying of self-induced abortions but because the millions killed in abortion clinics are God's and the death of these babies is wretched beyond measure. We live, not because a mother chose to keep us alive but rather because a Savior wanted us to come about.


Ps 139:13-16
For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
15 My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place.
When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,
16 your eyes saw my unformed body.
All the days ordained for me
were written in your book
before one of them came to be.
(from New International Version)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

fwiw, my opinion is that we must also consider this: Christians doing a better job in caring for the "born" will have a big impact in the fight for the rights of the "unborn."

Greg said...

I agree...It is of course the born who must have the will to fight for the unborn. They only have that will if they have been raised with values and compassion!