Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A Needed Change



I am excited about my new journey of faith! My sister-in-law Kitty recommended a book that she and her family are using and it has already had a fabulous effect upon me. Today as I was praying through the material, God's presence struck me and I was a bit overwhelmed by what He did with me. There is so much I want to see change in my personality and it simply is not possible without a transformation by the Holy Spirit. Last night I was amazed by the work of the Spirit in our cell group as we talked about the Bible passage, sang and prayed. I cannot say the work had anything to do with my entering this new phase but it did happen at the same time. I even had the opportunity to share the Gospel and pray with a woman who approached me when she spotted my Bible at the table. Her son is in jail and her health has suffered some difficult disease. I felt she came to me because of the inroads the Holy Spirit was making within me at the very moment she approached. The book Kitty recommended is A Call To Die by David Nasser. It is a forty day journey into being crucified with Christ. It invites everyone to spend an hour a day going through the material and taking intensive personal inventories. There also is a call to a fast of some sort whether a fast from food or from the various media types. My fast is from sports reporting and broadcasting. I know it sounds like a rather trivial fast but it has concentrated my gaze on Jesus already. One thing that struck me is how easy it is to assume that what I need is a change in circumstances when what I really need is more Jesus and greater affection for the Holy Spirit living within.

1 comment:

Gregg said...

sounds like a cool book! i wouldn't mind taking a look at it when we meet next.